Wednesday, August 18, 2010

As a parent what are your expectations from your child?

I was brought up in a very sheltered environment and have always been an obedient and studious child. I did good in school. college etc and now am successfully employed. So far I was the epitome if proper child to my parents ...as they kept telling me how proud they are of me.





I moved away from home...fell in love and got married to a guy I had know for 4 years. He is also educated, responsible caring loving...all!. he was raised in a different religion. The 4 years I knew him...I questioned my beliefs etc...to make sure what I felt and if I was ready to commit, and I was.





Ever since the day I told my parents I wanted to marry him...their attitude towards me changed completely. They told me that marrying him was the biggest mistake I could make...and how they never expected me to do so...and how difficult it would be for them to accept this.





We got married anyways and every time I talk to my Mom or Dad they will say something to put my husband down. Its so disheartening to see this. My husband thinks that they just need more time and when they see how happy we are they will come to terms with it.





Sometimes I feel that I was too harsh on them...that I was too selfish . I love them but I don,t fell i did anything wrong.





So as a parent what are your expectations from your child...if you had been in my parents place would you feel the same way too?





Thanks for reading...it was a long post.As a parent what are your expectations from your child?
I expect my children to be independent and true to themselves. To always do what they feel is right for them and above all to be kind. If they can do this then I have done my job as a parent.As a parent what are your expectations from your child?
I expect my kids to be happy, go above and beyond to help others, be compassionate, and I expect them to expect my support in their choices.
I don';t expect anything...other than that she may hopefully be happy...I have to admit though...I might find it difficult if she were to marry someone who was from what I considered to be an extreme religion....
Well it is hard to say what I would have done if I was in your parents place as I don't know the man you are married to.If they don't like him based on his religion then I think that is wrong and wrong of them for that.I do however see where they are coming from maybe they see something in him that they don't like and don't think it is best for you,but they should be happy and accept it and let you live your life,my children are still young so my expectations of them aren't really appropriate for this situation but I when they are older I expect them to be productive members of society and kind to others,I also expect them to succeed in things that they feel passionate about and never to give up.I do in some ways want them to find a certain kind of mate,I would like them to pass down our values and traditions to their children if they chose so but it is their life and I will let them live it how they see fit.Sit down and talk to your parents and tell them how it makes you feel by them doing this and tell them if they really love you they will accept what you have chosen in life.
I have a ';grown'; stepdaughter (she just turned 20) and she has made some life decisions that we did not agree with, but what we have found is that if we want to be part of her life, we have to overlook our disagreements and be diplomatic about how we discuss things with her. Honestly, who would want to spend time with people who are constantly putting you down? Let your parents know that you expect them to be civil and polite or you aren't spending time with them, and that includes being civil and polite to your husband.
  • albinism
  • ireland
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment