Friday, August 20, 2010

My brother is trying to convince me that I'm Bipolar.. my husband says i'm not...?

I am a very happy person, I am a optimist. I have a strong personality because I am a total extrovert, I express myself verbally about almost everything to close friends. I've always been very sensitive. The weakness I work on the most is my temper, it's gotten much more mild with age (29 yrs), and rarely comes out anymore since I am aware of it. My brother is driving me nuts telling me he's so super concerned I'm Bipolar. If I am, I don't know why he's so concerned, I have a happy healthy life %26amp; home. My husband %26amp; friends are happy. It's obviously not effecting my life in a bad way. I'm not depressive. My mom takes meds for a mental illness %26amp; he says I have it because of her gene. She doesn't know anything about Bipolar but he told her that being sensitive is part of bipolar.. and now she's convincing me I am because ';I'm the most sensitive person she's ever met.'; Being sensitive doesn't constitute bipolar. I don't want to take meds. My brother says that people who are bipolar don't like the meds because the up's are so fun.. but the downs are bad. He says sometimes I'm so happy he doesn't know what to do with me. That means nothing either. I would love to have these extreme up's he's talking about.. and I don't get the downs.. other then when I lose my temper which is rare and probably primarily due to PMS... but my happiness is consistent. I don't go into elation. I took tests online and came out negative w flying colors. I don't fall into any of these symptoms. Alright so, I met an Academy Award winning movie star the other day (I kid you not)... he said he had a crush on me.. got my # and called me! I told my mom about it in confidence because I was excited but married and didn't know what to do... she jumped to conclusions and told my brother I am now planning on moving to CA to be with this man. That would be an amazing feat on my part if I did this... Gah!! (My hubby knows all about this and thinks it's really cool he called me) BUT... Now my brother is relentless that I'm bipolar... and keeps insulting me... then, because I'm offended by him saying this then he says that my reaction is proof of my mood swings. He brought up one example 6 years ago where I broke up with a boyfriend for another guy and called my brother crying, wailing about my ex... and then the next day I was gleeful about my new boyfriend. I got hit by the love bug. I also remember regretting crying on the phone to my older brother so the next day I overcompensated myself to him so he wouldn't be concerned... because he's REALLY judgmental. He told me it doesn't matter what your excuse for your mood swings, either way they've happened multiple times like this in my life. The only other example he gave me was, one time I drank two bottles of wine alone, I got wasted and crying because my best girlfriend ended our friendship because I told her I was concerned she was abusing drugs to be skinny.. which she was. I called him... balling and of course.. that's a sign of being bipolar? No.. if anything alcoholism. lol... sooo Irritating. It's effecting me and it's making me think i'm crazy... my husband says i'm not bipolar.. My brothers wife is Mary Poppins reincarnated and I am a very strong personality.. so I think he compares me to her.





What do I do? If i'm bipolar it's obviously not effecting my life because i'm happy and so are the people around me. Is there a better test then the 5 that I took online that say i'm not at all bipolar? Am I in denial... How do I get him off my back... nothing seems to work.. he thinks i'm in denial. He also thinks i'm leaving my husband for a movie star because my mom told him she thought I was... this is soooo retarded.


P.S... Marriage advise is not welcome.. I am not leaving my husband. All I want to know is how to get my brother off my back.. because it hurts my feelings. Or tell me a better way to tell if I'm bipolar.My brother is trying to convince me that I'm Bipolar.. my husband says i'm not...?
You are not bipolar. I have no idea why your brother and mom are trying to convince you that you are. I would take what they say with a grain of salt and let it go in one ear and out the other. Since you don't think there is a problem and your husband doesn't think there is a problem, ignore them.


If you are really concerned, talk to your doctor.


A doctor is the only person that can diagnose you with any type of disorder.My brother is trying to convince me that I'm Bipolar.. my husband says i'm not...?
I'm not sure if this site will help.


http://www.bipolar.com/





To me, it don't sound like you have Bipolar.
BE A WOMAN AND STAND YOUR GROUND AND TELL THOSE TWO CLOWNS TO GET REAL U ARE NORMAL
How could someone who had just met you have a crush on you? This sounds pretty weird to me.





Why don't you make an appointment with a Psychiatrist, and go in and ask him to assess the likelihood that you are bi-polar? Then, if he says you are, you deal with that. If he says you aren't, you tell your brother that he doesn't have an MD, that you already trusted his opinion enough to get assessed, and now he needs to drop it.





On a personal note, I am also extremely sensitive/intuitive, but I have only called someone bawling once in the last 10 years. And maybe only one other time in my whole life before that. It does sound like you have some extreme moods, but that doesn't mean it's a problem, necessarily. BUT, I'm not a Doctor. Go see one, and put this to rest once and for all.





Good Luck!
It's too long and I did not read it all. Try breaking your thoughts down into one or two paragraphs next time.





If you have concerns about your mental health, see a psychiatrist or psychotherapist. Arguing with your brother about whether you are bi-polar is worthless.





Also, there is much online about this illness and you can google it for more information.
Most people whom are bipolar have problems in there life because of it. That's why they are on medication to help them. You say you have A happy life. Your brother sounds over bearing. He can't make that kind of diagnoses with out knowing all of your life. He is not even qualified to do such A thing. Sometimes it's hard to see yourself from A different stand point, but your friends and husband can. Trust how they see you. You care about what your brother thinks and says too much. You are your own person. You are in control of your life.


Maybe you should tell him this. If you think i'm so bi-polar then maybe we shouldn't speak to each other anymore. If I am bi-polar you know I'll change my mind. Give him something to think about. What he is doing is just so wrong in so many ways. I really do feel for you.


Remember your life, your rules. If your happy then don't let him drag you down. Be happy. Be yourself.


Hope this helps. Good luck!
I have precisely the personality you describe, and I am bipolar. I'm almost never depressed, I lean toward a constant up. I'm not unhappy with my life, but I don't sleep, for 3 or 4 days at a time. This is intolerable, so I take medication.





If you want a diagnosis, go to a psychiatrist. Or refuse to discuss it with your family. You don't sound bipolar to me, but I'm no classic case either.





Your brother sounds one can short of a six pack.
is he a psychiatrist? if not, his opinion shouldn't matter. if you are concerned make an appt., but if not continue being happy. our society is much too much into diagnosing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment