Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can I get cornmeal to stick to catfish fillets while deep-frying?

I am making dinner tonight and my husband loves fried catfish (as do I).. but every time I make it the cornmeal falls off in the deep-fryer. How can I keep this from happening? I have a little counter-top deep frying machine (Fry-Daddy for those of you who know what this is). I am not using the version with the basket (if that's of any relevance). I use cornmeal a little salt and pepper for taste.





I usually have the deep-fryer on 350 C..





What would you suggest to do?





(These are thawed fillets not frozen)





Also, should I stir them around a little while cooking (or does it matter), or would that assist the coating to fall off?





Any advice is greatly appreciated! (I do not want to alter the taste of my recipe but if you have a recipe that is similar that works like a charm and the stuff actually STICKS then by all means post it.. ALONG with your advice lol)How can I get cornmeal to stick to catfish fillets while deep-frying?
You didn't tell us how you coat the fish.





With out knowing your method I will suggest this.





1. Dredge in flour


2. Dip in egg wash (eggs and milk or buttermilk), or just butter milk, or just milk.


3. Then dip in the corn meal.


4. Don't stir to much.





5. Your temp is Right on don't let anyone tell you to do it a at a different temp.





Is the guy above me serious? Self rising corn meal. What a dummy.How can I get cornmeal to stick to catfish fillets while deep-frying?
I know it sounds odd, but we coat ours in a little mustard before we add the cornmeal and it helps it stick.





Edit: It's a southern mississippi thing...i guess it's an acquired taste.





The mustard adds a little bit of a tangy flavor, nothing overpowering, and it definitely doesn't taste like mustard. I never knew that's what my mom was putting on the fish until she passed the recipe on to me. Worth a try if you're looking for something a little different!
try egg yolk
put it in egg first
Beat up an egg or two and coat the fish then put them in the cornmeal %26amp; coat.Fry.
To get any dry meal- cornmeal, flur, cornflakes, breadcrumbs to stick to a dry thing, you have to remember this:


Dry-wet-dry.





So, your fish is dryish, you need to wet it with beaten egg or oil before dipping in the crumbs.





Milk may work, or egg.milk mixture.


Oil, a little fat, or oystersuace, some soysuce etc.





Something sticky, with sugar, or just sticky= egg or soysauce with a bit of sugar, and vinegar.


etc.





Dry-wet-dry
dip in egg white whipped with one tbsp of water then roll / dredge in cornmeal and spices. I think your temp could be a little higher and watch when adding new material temp will drop 50 degrees and it needs to regain before adding next piece . if using basket should not need to be stirred. will float and brown as it completes cooking
Make sure the fish is dry and thawed. Pat it with a paper towel. Beat an egg and roll the fish in egg and then in the cornmeal. Don't touch it any more than you have to while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment